Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Getting Short

As my time at Osan draws to an end, I can’t help but feel very conflicted about how I feel about leaving. On one hand, I’m so happy to get out of this crazy ops tempo which meant so much work for me just to support it. On the other hand, I’m so sad to leave my friends and the unique bonds that only Osan can create.

While I count the days to our PCS (and I always know how many are left), I wonder what is in store for us next. I know that I will not be going somewhere where the bonds are a close as they are here. I know I get to go back to Target, Barnes and Noble, and a REAL grocery store with non-frozen meat. I know I might actually get to see my husband at dinner time on occasion. But I’ve learned so much here that I don’t know that anywhere else can compete.

Yes, I’ve learned about our place as Americans in the world and a lot about the military and how it works for better and worse. And, I’ve learned a lot about Korea and Asia in general. But most importantly, I’ve learned about personal independence, innovation, support, friendship, and creative, cooperative living. Important lessons for life that many people don’t really get to learn.

I will miss my Osan home because it has enriched my life, even if I don’t miss my Osan job, even for a minute.

Helen, Guest Blogger

No comments: