Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Cloth Diapers??!?!

What are you, crazy? Cloth diapers? No one uses cloth diapers!

It might surprise you to learn that there are quite a few families here at Osan that use cloth diapers. If the only cloth diapers you've ever seen are those white rectangles that you pin with big sharp pins and cover with plastic underwear, you will definitely be surprised to see the new cloth diapers. Here's a post from the blog of one of our ex-Osan moms describing her first experience with clothies. Just so you know, she is now a cloth diaper ADDICT.

Cloth diapers can save a significant amount of money. Check out this post for some real-life calculations. They are better for the environment, and they save me from having to take the garbage out twice a day. I've definitely noticed a reduction in my garbage volume, too.

I know, I know: You are thinking, 'But they're so gross! What about the poop?' But you know what? It's just not that big of a deal. I have been doing it for about a year and a half, and perhaps twice I have been briefly disgusted. I use a flushable liner and just toss the poop in the toilet, liner and all. The liners are pretty sturdy and I rinse out the ones that are just wet and reuse them.

So maybe you want to give it a try. The first thing you will find out is that it can be very confusing on first glance. There are several different types of cloth diapers with varying costs and advantages. Here is a link that describes the various types. And here are the basics:

Prefolds- prefolds are the cheapest diapers. They are the old-fashioned type rectangles that are fastened with pins or a snappi. They require a waterproof cover.

Fitted or contour diapers- a shaped diaper that fastens with velcro or snaps. Also requires a waterproof cover. Motherease and Cricketts are popular brands.

Pocket diaper- a diaper shaped pocket with waterproof material on the outside and a soft skin-friendly layer on the inside. An absorbent hemp or microfleece pad is placed inside. Fuzzi Bunz, Happy Heinies and Bum Genius are popular choices.

I use pocket diapers, mostly Happy Heinies (nice because they are one size fits all and you can use them for a newborn and a toddler), Swaddlebees and Green Acre Designs. I have about 30 and I wash them about every three days. I keep the dirty ones in a closed hamper in the laundry room. To wash them, I do a rinse cycle with vinegar, then a hot wash with oxi-clean and a small amount of gentle detergent, then an extra rinse and a hot dry cycle. The water here on base has something in it that builds up on the diaper inserts, making them less absorbent, so every couple of washes I use some baking soda to strip it out. Too much detergent will also build up on the inserts and make the diapers smell with use, so I use just a little bit.

For wipes, I use squares of flannel moistened with a mix of water, baby wash, vegetable oil and tea tree oil, which I keep in an empty glass juice jar. Here's some 'recipes'.

Of course, cloth diapers cannot be purchased here and must be bought online. The BX does sell the Gerber brand of white rectangles but those are good for nothing except dish towels. Here are some online stores Osan parents have had good luck with:

Jillian's Drawers
Nicki's Diapers
Barefoot-Eco

If you want to learn more, email me through osanparents@gmail.com or check out the links below.

Diaperpin.com

Dirtydiaperlaundry.com
Real Diaper Association

Anna, guest blogger

1 comment:

Kim said...

Sounds like you have your wash routine down pat! Thanks for linking me also. There is a group for cloth diapering bloggers, clothdiaperblogging.ning.com

There is a carnival I am hosting about wash routines for cloth diapers, if you want to participate! It is next week :)